Celebrate the 150th Anniversary of our parish on July 28, at 6:00pm
In the 1800s, Mass in Winchester was celebrated in private homes and at the Red Lion Tavern until the church was built on land purchased in 1868. When Wheeling Bishop John Kain came to dedicate Sacred Heart of Jesus Church, he donated a horse that was raffled off to benefit the building fund.
Winchester Catholics worshipped in Sacred Heart Church on Loudon Street for the next 121 years. Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church became an independent parish in 1870. One hundred and four years later the parish joined the newly formed Arlington Diocese. Ground was broken in 1987 for the current church building. Mass was first celebrated there on Palm Sunday of 1989.
On July 28, a special Mass was celebrated to initiate a year of celebration. Bishop Michael Burbidge celebrated with Msgr. Stanley Krempa, Rev. Michael Dobbins, Rev. Guillermo Gonzalez, and our parish clergy concelebrating. It was a joyous way to begin a year of devotion to the Sacred Heart.