In accepting the role of “godparent” or “sponsor” for the Sacrament of Baptism or Confirmation, you become responsible as a model and an example of a committed and active Catholic and a support to the parents in the practice of the Catholic faith.
You must meet the following requirements in order to be a godparent or sponsor.
- You are a baptized and currently practicing Catholic at least 16 years of age.
- You are not the parent of the person to be baptized or confirmed.
- You have received the Sacrament of Confirmation.
- If married, you were married in the Catholic Church. If single, you are not living with anyone out of wedlock.
- You are a registered member of your parish.
- You regularly attend Sunday Mass.
- You are open to the living Word of God in Sacred Scripture and the Church.
- Your life bears witness to your readiness for the role.
- You try to live your life according to Gospel values even when they conflict with the value systems of our culture and society.
- You intend to encourage the candidate in the practice of the Catholic faith by your word and example.
If you are a member of Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church
, please call the office at 540-662-5858 or email email@example.com
to ask about getting a Godparent/Sponsor Eligibility Statement.Option 2:
If you are a member of another parish or live outside the parish boundaries of Sacred Heart parish
, please contact the church where you are or should be a member, and the staff there will assist you. The Godparent/Sponsor Eligibility Statement
should be obtained from your own parish.