The Pastor’s Corner
St. Joseph, Guardian and Protector
Monday, March 20th, is the Solemnity of St. Joseph. It is a special day for people of Italian heritage. It is also a Solemnity that speaks to us all.
St. Joseph was declared Protector of the Universal Church to encourage us to seek his intercession for the guidance and protection of the Church around the world. We should not only seek St. Joseph’s intercession for fathers of families today but also for his help as we seek to protect the Church around the world.
We all know how our country is divided, how the sense of national unity and purpose that expressed our pride in our country seems a distant memory. Tragically, the same thing seems to be happening in the Church today. I am sometimes shocked by the way some websites and commentators will speak about the Holy Father bringing the same acrimony and name calling that pervades our politics into the Church. It is very easy to take a sentence out of context or publish a headline that is very deceptive.
We all have been in conversations where people speak in an accusatory way about the Church, bishops and the Holy Father. Sometimes, the anti-Catholicism that many remark is alive in our country can be found even in the ranks of Catholics.
Let us use this Solemnity of St. Joseph to renew our commitment to defend the Church and our Faith as he protected the Holy Family.
If we don’t stand up for the Church, who will?
In Our Lord
Father Stan Krempa
* * *
HOLY WEEK SERVICES 2017
CONFESSIONS at SACRED HEART
- TUESDAY – April 11, Penance Service – 7:30pm (Novena Prayers in Private)
- WEDNESDAY – April 12, 9am and 6:30pm
- GOOD FRIDAY – April 14, 10:00am – 11:00am only (last opportunity for confessions at Sacred Heart)
MASSES at SACRED HEART
- HOLY THURSDAY, April 13, no morning Masses, 7:30pm Mass of the Lord’s Supper
- Adoration at the Repository until Midnight
- WEDNESDAY, April 12, 7:00am and 8:30am
- TUESDAY, April 11, 7:00am and 8:30am
- MONDAY, April 10 , 7:00am and 8:30am
- GOOD FRIDAY, April 14, no morning Masses
- 3:00pm Living Stations of The Cross
- 5:00pm Stations of The Cross (Spanish)
- 7:30pm Good Friday Liturgy
- HOLY SATURDAY, April 15, 12:00pm Blessing of the Easter Food in the Church, 8:30pm Easter Vigil and First Mass of Easter, (Baptism and Reception of Converts)
- EASTER SUNDAY, April 16, 7:30am, 9:15am, 11:15 am, 2:30pm Spanish mass (No 5:30pm Mass)
* * *
To read about the bishop’s visit to Sacred Heart parish, click here.
* * *
A new, two-minute video each month to help “build the virtues you wish you already had” from the Arlington Diocese. Each month features a different priest from our diocese.